Admission for Masters Program
All students seeking admission to the Master of Science course of study in computer science has to apply directly at the Department of Computer Science. Here the equivalence of the previous degree to our Bachelor of Science will be checked.
Use this application form: Online Form
Before completing the application form and sending the necessary documents, please read the following information carefully. It is meant to help you to submit a complete application. Any incomplete application or applications handed in after the deadline (November 15th for the following summer semester and May 15th for the following winter semester) cannot be taken into consideration.
Please note that it is very important for us to know your specific reasons for choosing our Masters program. In addition it is of great interest to us what field of research you are especially interested in and whether you already have a project you want to pursue at our university. Please avoid superficial answers.
Documents for application
The completed application form must be accompanied by the following documents in German, English or French; translations must be submitted with documents in other languages.
- curriculum vitae / biodata
- a copy of your GRE Score and the GRE Subject Score. ( www.gre.org ) Optional! But please note: standardized ratings, especially the GRE, are helpful in assessing your aptitude!
- a copy of your TOEFL (the code of our University, Dept. of Computer Science is 8399), CPE or IELTS score (www.toefl.org ; www.cambridge-efl.org; www.ielts.org ). Please note: Excemptions are only made for native speakers and those who hold a degree of a University in a country, where English is the mother tongue. A degree from India or Pakistan will not be considered as valid english proficiency proof.
- two recommendations of professors or employers who know you and your work very well. You can either send us the recommendations in sealed envelopes you get from the referees or we will contact them and obtain the recommendations from them. In any case: please inform them about your choice and give them a copy of our recommendation info-sheet(pdf) / (Word.doc). Don't send testimonials.
- academic certificates as copies of the following:
- school-leaving certificate giving the right of entry to higher education in the applicant´s home country with individual grades
- all university end-of-year exam certificates (with individual grades)
- university degree certificate or diploma indicating the final grade(s) / GPA. Please do not apply if the CGPA of your Bachelor degree is under 75%! ( Look at our webpage about Academic Performance / equivalence to a B. Sc. of Saarland University)
All certificates must be accompanied by an explanation of the grading system. Copies of certificates must be officially authenticated. The accuracy of the translation must be confirmed. Original certificates will not be needed until matriculation at our university.
For applicants from the Peoples's Republic of China and from Mongolia: We will not accept your application without the official certificate of the APS (Akademische Prüfstelle) in China/Mongolia.
Postal adress for application documents
(only if you have no access to the online-application-system !)
Department of Computer Science
Dr. Tanja Breinig, Building E1 3, Room 2.09
P.O. Box 15 11 50
master at cs.uni-saarland.de
In case you get accepted, all documents have to be presented in original and translated form when you go to the registrars office at the university.
The application and accompanying documents will remain with the University. Personal data will be stored in computer files only to the extent necessary for the administration of applications and in compliance with the ?Federal Data Protection Act?. Applications of unsuccessful candidates will be destroyed after one year. In case you want to have the documents send back to you, please enclose an International Response Coupon.
IMPORTANT: Please note: Admitted applicants automatically apply for a fellowship of the MPI/IMPRS. There are no further documents needed.